Friday, September 8, 2017

The Making of a Fall Bracelet



Leather Bracelet by BayMoonDesign
Leather Bracelet by BayMoonDesign


I was gifted a maroon leather strap for a bracelet and asked to make something with it.  For once, I had everything I needed and the bracelet came together quickly.

leather strap

The leather strap had a snap so I didn't have to worry about a closure.  I gave more thought to what I would do to decorate it than I did making it.

Vintaj Natural Brass
Vintaj Natural Brass

I found 3 Vintaj pieces in my stash that I thought would work.



Vintaj Natural Brass
Vintaj Natural Brass  
I selected the rectangular one because I thought the shape and size would work well.





Ranger Patina and Sealant
Ranger Patina and Sealant


Since fall is right around the corner I wanted to create an orange color with the patinas that I had on hand.  I always associate orange with fall.  I mixed a little quartz, rust, and clay Ranger patinas to get my color to apply on the natural brass.



Size of leather strap compared to US penny


I let the patina dry and then sanded it to bring out the texture and gold color on the design.  I then applied a sealant to the rectangle.


Micro Screws and Nuts
Micro Screws and Nuts

I have a stash of micro screws and nuts that I have been using on other designs so I picked the brass colored ones to blend in with the focal.  I only needed to use 2.

Leather punch
Leather punch
The srcews and nuts were the perfect size for the rectangular brass focal.  I put 2 holes in the leather with my leather punch and put screws on the back.  I then used a snipping tool to cut the screws down to a comfortable length.


snap closure on back of leather
snap closure on back of leather

I  hammered and filed the screws to make them shorter and smoother.

Leather Bracelet for sale at BayMoonDesign
Leather Bracelet for sale at BayMoonDesign

I am happy with the completed bracelet and I am anxious to make a few more with the Vintaj filagree that I have left.  Pretty easy!  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment