Saturday, April 13, 2013

Try Creating a Color Palette

"Walk in the Meadows at Argenteuil" by Claude Monet

"Walk in the Meadows at Argenteuil" by Claude Monet is a wonderful inspiration for April's Art Bead Scene Monthly Challenge, since most of us are coming out of a dreary winter to a glorious spring.   I am in the habit of following Brandi Hussey's color palette which creates for this challenge. I waited until Brandi posted this one before I started my entry to this months challenge.


What I love so much about this particular painting is that it so perfectly mimics spring where I live in Key Largo, Florida. The orange geiger (Cordia sebestena) is the most well-known, with showy, deep orange flowers that contrast nicely against the tree's coarse green leaves.
I think it the most beautiful of Florida native trees.  Actually, no one knows for sure if the geiger is a Florida native or if it was introduced long ago from Cuba or elsewhere.  It was named in the 1830's by John James Audubon after John Geiger (a harbor pilot who salvaged sunken treasure off the coast of Key West) with whom Audubon stayed and painted. There is even a Geiger Key which is a small island.



As I pulled color inspiration for my challenge piece, I decided I had to use the  yellowish green that dominates the picture, different shades of green, and peach.  These colors say spring to me.  I found those colors in a beautiful ceramic by Marsha Neal Studio.

Roseate Spoonbill  by Audubon--image from
commons.wikimedia.org






I did some research on creating a color palette because I find this is extremely helpful to me.   I wanted to see what the color palette for the Aububon picture Roseate Spoonbill is so I

used a free tool on the web called Pictulous to create the color palette below.



Another great article on the topic of color palettes is found on the Art Bead Scene blog at Art Bead Scene Blog: Studio Saturday - Color Palette Inspiration
Heather Powers did a fantastic show of how she created a color palette for her new bead collection which I am crazy about!  I hope you will give creating a color palette a try if you haven't already.  I think it is a really helpful tool.





3 comments:

  1. Love your necklace. It captures the mood of the painting really well and is so pretty. I also made a piece of jewelry for this challenge. It's on my blog and on Flickr.
    Thanks for the link to pictulous. I'm having so much fun but should be working on my jewelry. I'm in the 3rd reveal of Lori's Bead Soup Blog Party and am almost ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I love your soft use of color in this piece

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors in the necklace. Thank you for the reminder to try to make a color palette. I love putting colors, but sometimes I need a push outside of my favorites, so why haven't I tried it - I will. Andrea

    ReplyDelete